A round up of things we use and love during the summer months, from home goods to sunscreen and everything in-between.
It’s officially, officially summer! A fun fact about me: I used to loathe summer. It’s hot, sticky, sweaty, uncomfortable… and then I moved to Chicago and fell in love with this time of year. The lake breeze, the neighborhoods springing to life, the outdoor dining everywhere you look, aaah. Chicago summers simply cannot be beat, and I stand by that! And when Lucy completed our family, I found that I loved summers even more. I find myself surrendering to the heat, allowing relaxation to sink into my bones. Days are lazier, meals are slower, work is lighter. It’s such a wonderful feeling, and I’m holding onto it tight.
Today, we wanted to share the things we love this time of year, from sunscreen to tumblers, linen pants to popsicle molds. What are the parts of summer that you most look forward to?
Things We Love for Summer
- Dr. Dennis Gross Lightweight Wrinkle Defense Sunscreen SPF 30 | I recently ran out of my tried and true Algenist daily face sunscreen, and when I popped into Sephora, they were out. Instead, I was directed towards Dr. Dennis Gross, and I love it all the same, if not more! It vanishes on my skin with no heavy feeling, is reef friendly and even claims to protect your skin from blue light emitted from screens. Tough love time: If you value your skincare routine as much as I do and you’re not using daily sunscreen, you’re wasting your money. – Kim
- Ray Ban Justin | I’ve had these exact sunglasses for years and they’ve held up incredibly well! They’re lightweight with just the right amount warm of lens tint. The slightly rubberized texture helps them stay put on my high nose bridge. Available in tons of colors and frame sizes. Highly recommended! – Scott
- Oscillating sprinkler + timer | We’re currently in the midst of nursing not one, but two front yards to peak health and this sprinkler/timer combo is saving the day at both! The front yard of our Chicago home received a total gut transformation last fall and we’ve been watering the new plants daily all spring. Over at the two flat, we laid fresh sod and this combo has the grass growing faster than we could have imagined! 15 minutes a day without a second thought is all it takes! The adjustable pattern on the sprinkler all but eliminates water waste and once the timer is set, it’s zero effort. – Scott
- High waisted linen pants | I picked these up during a sale after Elise @foxfamilyden gave them two thumbs up, and it was love at first try-on! They’re incredibly comfortable, not too long on my petite frame and lightweight for hot summer days. – Kim
- Gold plated huggie earrings | Now that I’m wearing my hair up more, it never fails to make me smile to see these huggies in my ears. I’m not a big jewelry person, but these? These, I can do! I never take them out (not even to sleep or shower), and they look good as new after several months. – Kim
- ReNew Swim Short | I don’t ‘officially’ keep a capsule wardrobe, but when I find a high-quality garment that fits well, I tend to purchase multiple colors. I currently own the ReNew swim short in black, atlantic, and forest and they’re all simple, clean and complimentary to my slim dad bod. The inseam is the perfect length, they dry crazy fast, and they’re comfortable enough to wear biking to and from the beach. – Scott
- Primula iced coffee maker | Once the daily high temperature consistently hits the mid 70’s, we keep this pitcher full of cold brew concentrate on hand until after Labor Day. We prefer a brighter, fruity iced coffee (Ethiopian varieties are usually my favorite) but anything works! – Scott
- Double wall acrylic tumbler | Home made smoothies on the front porch are a weekend breakfast staple around here! Kim and Lucy blend up a mean strawberry/banana/coconut/spinach blend and these cups keep them cold as long as necessary. – Scott
- YETI Rambler slim 12 oz. Colster | I’ve shared these on Stories a few times, but my goodness, these are wonderful! They’re available for standard 12 or 16 ounce cans, but my personal favorite are these slim Colsters for seltzers. We take them to picnics and the beach, and they stay ice cold to the LAST DROP. Mean it. – Kim
- The Amalfi swimsuit | AKA, my ride or die suit. It just looks and feels SO good, a true classic! Adjustable straps, choose your own bottom coverage and long torso available (the latter is me, makes all the difference!). I can’t recommend this suit highly enough for pairing with jean shorts, the beach, playground or anything else. – Kim
- Men’s Birkenstock Arizona sandals | This EVA foam version of the classic birkenstock is a summer staple. Wear them in the water, for an afternoon at the brewery or for running around the yard. Comfy, waterproof and seemingly indestructible. – Scott
- Foldable(!) Pet + Kiddie pool | For my small yard people, this one’s for you! We upgraded from the $5 plastic pool last summer, and this pool has been so much fun for Lucy and her friends. I was nervous that the sides would fall in, but it’s very strong, has a water pipe connector for easy draining and folds away when we’re done! – Kim
- Glossier Ultralip | Many of you already know my love of all things Glossier, and Ultralip still tops my list as a must-have product! This summer, I’m digging the color Coupe, which reads as the cheeriest red with a touch of orange. Instant polish and super hydrating. – Kim
- Dino ice pop molds | These are a huge hit in our house! We whip up smoothies and pour them into the molds, but the cutest surprise is the dinosaur skeleton that’s revealed as you enjoy! – Kim