It’s been a rough week, but I want to thank you all – so much! – for reaching out to us after we shared the sad news about Libby. We’ll share more once we’ve had a moment to digest this unwanted, unfamiliar change in our family, and in the meantime, we’re allowing ourselves to be sad, cry, and eat ice cream. When all else fails, we spend the afternoon at our home away from home, Michigan:
On a whim, we decided to go back to Grand Mere State Park, a gem of a beach that can only be accessed by first walking a 1/2-mile through a wooded trail and then another 1/2 mile through sand dunes. It’s a workout (to say the least), but the payoff is absolutely worth it! During our visit not long ago, I shared in our Stories that we were thinking of enlarging a photo for the big, blank wall above our sofa at Tree House.
Initially, we had planned on DIY-ing art, but during a morning hike at Grand Mere, we couldn’t get over the shapes, molded by the weather, along the dunes. It felt very sculptural, and out of context, it almost looks like a canyon! We asked each other if this should be the art above our sofa, a thought we initially shied away from since we have something similar in our Chicago home. After sharing that concern with all of you (and putting it up to a vote!), so many of you agreed that sharing the beauty around Michigan will only add to the heart of Tree House.
Yesterday, I took several photos along the dunes, and we narrowed it down to our 2 favorites. These have both been roughly edited, but whichever one we decide on will get processed juuust a smidge more (like lifting the shadows and cleaning up stray twigs). Which one would you choose? Vote below!
I wanted to use these products for a while before sharing my review, but it’s official – I’m a Beautycounter fan! If you’re unfamiliar, it’s a clean beauty brand on a mission to get only the safest products into your hands. I received this mist in a gift basket, and I loved it enough to start browsing their site. For the last month, I’ve been using the Illuminating Cream Highlighter in Rose Glow as a blush and the Luminous Powder Highlighter in Topaz. The powder highlighter is pretty shimmery, but a dusting on my nose and forehead is pure magic. The two combined keeps me just the right amount of glowy.
We have a new favorite show that we can’t stop binging: Patriot Act delivers cultural and political storytelling in 25 minute chunks – plus, Hasan!
It can be tricky to find a pair of slim pants for my skinny Scott, but he recently picked up a pair of these in Navy and loves them! They’re lightweight and casual, but could also be dressed up for a date night. Fatigue and Ochre are also so handsome.
I’m crushing so hard on deep garnet hues – but only in moderation. This room nails the color beautifully.
This is one of our favorite resources for Lucy’s clothes (TTS), and we’ve made a tradition of stocking up at the start of every season!
But it’s also a favorite for us, too. Hoodie season is almost upon us, and this cropped hoodie has my name all over it! (Too soon?)
I keep coming back to this room. The headboard. The rug. The ceilings! Literal dreams.
We picked up this sweet book, which is too cute for words. (Case in point: The edamame beans have a sesame seed dog!)
After sharing these 6 tips for interior photography, many of you asked for recommendations on an easy-to-follow online course. A kind reader reached out to share this series of classes, and I wanted to pass it along!
Labor Day Weekend Sales!
- Anthropologie: 20% off furniture, decor and bedding + extra 50% off sale
- Article: See the sale here, which includes our Mello sofa + the popular Sven in navy
- Bed, Bath & Beyond: Labor Day deals up to 50% off
- CB2: Up to 50% off clearance
- Crate & Barrel: Up to 20% off the Upholstery Event
- The Container Store: 15% off shop online, pick up in store with promo PICKUP15 + 25% off Elfa
- J. Crew: 40% off your purchase with promo SUNSET
- J. Crew Factory: 50% off everything + 60% off clearance with promo FALLFUN
- Macy’s: up to 20% off with code WKND
- Pottery Barn: Buy more, save more event with promo SAVEMORE
- Rejuvenation: Buy more, save more event + free shipping with promo FREESHIP
- Serena & Lily: 30% off dining
- Unison Home: Free shipping on orders over $100 with promo FALL19
- West Elm: Buy more, save more event + free shipping with promo SAVEMORE
- Williams Sonoma: Buy more, save more event + Labor Day bonus deals
- World Market: Save 30% on full price living, dining and office with promo FURNDEAL30
Wishing you all a fun and safe Labor Day weekend! Our street is hosting our very first block party – complete with a bounce house! – and we intend to do nothing but eat, laugh and be merry with our awesome neighbors. What do you have planned?