This ‘Easy’ Life
Did you watch Fake Famous? It was… obnoxious? Sad? I haven’t been able to stop thinking it, especially after reading Deema’s blog post on the ‘easy life of an influencer.’ (Her Influencer Talk highlight is more food for thought.) And if you did watch Fake Famous, this breakdown on Buzzfeed is worth a read, too. While I don’t agree with the Buzzfeed writer’s decision to make cheap shots at the subjects of the documentary, I will sing the praises of every other aspect of the article.
I can’t think of any other industry where the talent has to work on BOTH the content AND the advertisements. Read that again.— Deema, Pretty On Fridays
The Business Side of Blogging + Content Creation
I don’t talk about the business side of blogging and social media much, because that’s not why we show up every day. (If you are curious, Casey wrote a great post this week that I feel is spot on.) It’s not your job to understand what we do, but I think it’s our job to make it seem effortless. And maybe that’s where I’ve gone wrong. I hope I’ve never made anyone feel less than. I hope I share content that you find engaging, both sponsored and unsponsored. Because behind the curtain, that’s a massive part of our job! We had to learn the business – which, as Buzzfeed rightfully points out, has been primarily built and run by women – over more than a decade of a trial and error. We do this job knowing that we can wake up one morning and, without warning, need to shift because an update in any given social app.
All this to say, we simply can’t produce as much content as we do without the support of our DIY-loving community, and please hear me when I say, we absolutely could not provide this much content without the support of sponsors, too. It’s a juggling act to make all sides happy, which if I’ve learned anything in life, isn’t possible. That said, we’ll always err on the side of ensuring we’re making the right decisions for our family, as I’m sure you also do!
So. Let’s talk.
Do you find yourself being disengaged from influencers? Do you scroll and digest content with a feeling of disillusionment? Do you hold onto assumptions? I sincerely hope you are here because you enjoy it, and I hope you leave our page feeling happy. I’m grateful to say that 99% of my communication with you is positive – but man, that remaining 1% can be vicious, despite my thick skin from 12 years of blogging. Please feel free to continue this conversation in the comments, respectfully. Ask questions, I’m listening.
Thank you, Deema, for kicking off this conversation and giving me (and many, many others) something to think about and improve upon.
Dolly gets a dose of her own medicine. (ILU, Dolly!)
Scott and I have been watching the renovation of this century-old Logan Square church, and the first glimpse is in, seen below. While I appreciate the restoration of many elements (that stained glass, wow!), I’m disappointed in the sky-high rent. What do you think?
We opened up the summer calendar to rent our beloved Tree House! You can see a gallery of photos, check out the guidebook and request a booking right here. This year, we’re offering 1-week stays, Friday to Friday. We take Covid very seriously, and we’ve incorporated extensive cleaning and safety protocols. We’re looking forward to hosting you!
If it isn’t intersectional, it isn’t feminism.— @courtneyahndesign
Our Two Flat renters got a window upgrade! As city dwellers for the last almost-15-years, Scott and I sometimes forget that other people like more privacy than we do, ha! Both of our tenants requested window shades for their back doors and kitchens. We ordered more of the same and installed them in under 30 minutes. Seen below, Bali Blinds solar shades in Biscuit, 4%. If our tenants are happy, we’re happy. And you know what? It does look pretty good:
Do you rent? We shared our renter-friendly ideas with epicurious for sprucing up your kitchen! Thank you for the interview, Kendra!
- Baggu: Free shipping on all orders
- Boutique Rugs: 60% off with code FLASH60
- CB2: Up to 25% off lighting and 30% off rugs
- The Company Store: 20% off sitewide with code B21SAVE
- Everlane: Up to 70% off Choose What You Pay!
- Madewell: Free shipping for Insiders (and it’s free to sign up!)
- Old Navy: 30% off storewide, online only
- Overstock: 70% off thousands of home + outdoor items
- Rugs USA: Up to 70% off Jute, Sisal or Seagrass rugs
- Target: Save up to 25% off furniture items
- West Elm: Open Box discounts!
Have a Spring-y Weekend!
What are you up to this weekend? Scott and I are itching to whip our back patio into shape. We’ll be cutting back the garden boxes – maybe even re-staining them! – and measuring the space for a round table. Yup, we’re going round out back, too! Spring is in the air, I can feel it. Have a happy, spring-y weekend, friends. xx