Finding Peace In Goodbye
My grandma passed away peacefully in her sleep on Monday morning. We knew it was coming. A broken hip led to a fever which led to a short hospital stay which led to a lump. In the days leading up to her passing, she had been asking for her husband, my Pap Pap, who said his farewell almost 11 years ago. (I was gutted then, and I still have a hard time going back to that time.) When my dad told me that she’d been calling out his name, the floodgates opened. To me, my grandma is not just my grandma. She’s Grandma and Pap Pap. My grandpap was not just my grandpa. He was Pap Pap and Grandma. The two go hand-in-hand, both literally and figuratively.
I saw the photo above for the first time on the day she died. It’s a photo from their wedding day, obviously, but to me, it’s so much more than that! Not only do I think it’s incredibly beautiful (that veil!), but the image of my grandpap carrying my grandma over the threshold gave me a happiness that I hadn’t felt since the news of her passing. I felt peace. I can imagine my grandma’s face, silly with glee as he carried through that front door. I also imagined him doing the same on Monday morning, carrying her home again, with him.
Psst: That photo at the very top of this post? That green chair was a wedding present to my grandparents, and we were lucky enough to take it into our home. I cherish that chair, that memory, with my whole heart.
Have you watched the Netflix series Unbelievable? It’s based on the true story of Marie Adler and the most ah-mazing female detective duo, and it’s been weighing on my mind all week. It’s heartbreaking. It’s powerful. It’s hopeful. I haven’t been able to stop thinking about it. All of it.
Sturgill’s new album is something out of this world, and I wish I could hear it for the first time all over again. I’ll never get that moment back! Start at the beginning, take the album off shuffle and listen all the way through. It’s just… wow. Wowowow. It’s been a bright spot in my week.
Many of you noticed the stroller we used while in Minneapolis – it’s a Bugaboo Lynx! We had a handful of pain points with Lucy’s first stroller, and we recently made the upgrade to the Bugaboo with the Blue Melange canopy. It’s lightweight and folds up nicely, and the storage underneath is a dream. Most importantly, Lucy loves it!
Empathy is my super power. (Scooped one up in Lucy’s size!)
Andrea’s Story series on Mexico is beautiful and welcomed.
My hair has changed drastically since I’ve had Lucy. It’s more brittle and dry than ever before, and it’s lost the lustre of my youth – oh, my youth. Ha! Years ago, I used this shampoo and conditioner and it was my everything. I stopped using it because it’s on the pricier end, but desperate for hair help, I picked up the shampoo and conditioner last week. O. M. G. Just two washes in, and I’m never looking back! Trust.
- Bed, Bath & Beyond: Up to 75% off kitchen, bath and furniture
- CB2: 15% off full price items with email sign-up
- Crate & Barrel: 20% off all rugs (may I recommend the indestructible Baxter?)
- The Container Store: 25% off Elfa storage solutions
- J. Crew: 40% off your purchase with promo code
- J. Crew Factory: 40-60% off all styles
- Madewell: 20% off $100+ or 30% off $200+ with promo YOUCHOOSE
- Pottery Barn: Friends & Family event! Save 25% with promo FRIENDS
- Rejuvenation: Friends & Family event! 20% with promo FRIENDS19
- Serena & Lily: 20% off (almost) everything with promo BEOURGUEST
- Unison Home: Free shipping on orders over $100 with promo FALLFINDS
- West Elm: 25% off rugs and 30% off dining, media and office furniture
- Williams Sonoma: 20% off kitchen linens and stainless steel cookware
Wishing you all a happy weekend, full of everything you need and nothing you don’t. xx