It’s been a while since we’ve caught up and had a chat, and good gravy, so much has happened with the Two Flat, with our family, with our life and our feelings and everything in-between. While we share much of our renovation life here and on Instagram, there’s also a lot we don’t share. And lately, we’ve been playing the never-ending game of catch-up and feeling the beginnings of burnout. If something has the potential to go wrong with the Two Flat renovation, we have learned: It will go wrong. Some things we’ve shared (hello, flood!), some we haven’t.
This has me thinking: How do you stay positive during a renovation? Is staying positive in the midst of a renovation (while in the midst of an overdue human rights movement while in the midst of a pandemic) possible?
Truthfully, I don’t know – we’re still trying to figure it out. But what I do know is that while this year has been hard, it’s been necessary. It has opened our minds and hearts and eyes and ears to understand the things that we value more clearly. (Family time. Togetherness. The fight towards equality, anti-racism and education.) The world is seeing growth and others’ true colors and none of that could happen without the events of this year unraveling before us. Every day has been a reflection. Are we doing the right thing? Is it okay to feel this way? How many times in a day can one person cry?
This week, we shifted our focus towards small victories. We needed to feed our souls with a tiny win, and we found that through our DIY roots! We shared the journey of building floating shelves for the sweetest little nook (see above!), and it all went down in Stories. #Instashelves? It was fun and rewarding to share that process with you, and from the feedback we received, you enjoyed it, too!
Would you be interested in more Instagram-only DIYs?
I’ve only recently discovered Trouva, and I’m obsessed! It’s a curated home goods + lifestyle site made up of independent makers, and although it’s London-based, I found shipping to be quick and hassle-free! Here are some favorites:
As if Arlo’s playroom couldn’t be any cuter, Molly did this.
This opinion piece gave me pause. (The comment section is also respectful and thought-provoking):
I’m not telling you I have the blueprint for a beautiful new world. What I’m telling you is that the system we have right now is broken beyond repair and that it’s time to consider new ways of doing community together.
Daniel’s kitchen lived up to every expectation (naturally), and now I’m like, do I want creamy putty-colored cabinets?
This denim skirt is the perfect wash, perfect length and perfect summer day essential. Hot tip: size up!
IG I Love
I was recently invited by @albieknows to take part in #SharetheMicNowHomeEdition, and it was such an honor to hand over our Instagram feed to Danielle @tuft_diymckim. Danielle was generous with her story and conversation, but did you also know she is an ah-mazing DIY-er? She made this bed. I repeat, she made this bed!
July 4th Sales!
- Anthropologie: Extra 50% off sale
- Article: Up to 40% off July 4th sale!
- Brooklinen (below): 15% off the Summer Sale
- CB2: Up to 40% off outdoor
- Crate & Barrel: Up to 30% off sitewide
- Everlane (below): Up to 40% off Choose What You Pay
- GAP: Up to 75% off EVERYTHING
- Loft: Extra 60% off sale with code HBDUSA
- Lulu & Georgia: 20% off the Summer Sale with code SUMMERTIME
- Madewell (below): 30% off sale with code GIANT
- Old Navy: 75% off all clearance
- Overstock: Up to 70% off July 4th sale
- Pottery Barn: Up to 25% off Buy More, Save More event
- Rejuvenation: 25% off everything!
- Rugs USA: Up to 75% off 4th of July
- Schoolhouse (below): 15% off fans and hardware
- Target: Up to 25% off furniture
- Unison Home: 20% off sitewide with code SUMMERSALE
- West Elm: 20% off furniture, 25% off everything else!
- World Market: Up to 50% off sitewide
Wishing you all a safe, happy, restful and fulfilling weekend, friends. xx