It’s All So Strange.
It’s all so strange. The weather. Our schedules (or lack thereof). This day (week, month, year, really!). We’ve been putting our heads down and working on the things within our control – like staining the Tree House deck! We finalized a big order of tile samples, and we’re eagerly awaiting their arrival. We’re choosing paint colors for our Chicago entryway, and exterior and interior colors for The Two Flat. Our minds, they’re leap frogging, I tell you. We’re here, we’re there, we’re… well, all over the place – that is, as long as it’s inside.
We remind each other that everything is temporary. Everything, including this. We embrace celebratory news from friends and family – birthdays, big announcements, a lost tooth. We hold on to that information tight, and we pull it out when we need a reminder of the good stuff.
As another week floats by, I’ll continue to ask: How are you, really really? Us, we’re okay. We’re fine and scared and not fine, but mostly fine. I see that giggly girl in the photo above, and my heart bursts. I soften. I read the news, and I retreat. Again, I say, it’s all so strange.
I’m sharing the things below that made me stop and smile, made me think or made me forget – even for just a moment.
Other Things This Week:
Our friends Meg and Joe are holding a casting call to find a vintage home in need of renovation – to appear on their television series! If you’re a homeowner in the Chicago area, here’s how to apply.
What a penguin weigh-in looks like. (Awfully cute!)
I read, re-read and re-read again and again (and again!) the story of Daniel’s hallway. I still can’t get over it, and I’ll forever be in awe of his commitment to restoration and attention to detail.
Speaking of Daniel, you all have been cracking. me. up. with your enthusiasm for our Dixie Chicks challenge! (Keep an eye on our Stories if you’re not sure what I mean.) I must know, what is your favorite Dixie Chicks song?
Madewell released a new collection with Parachute Home! It’s comfy cozy – for you and your pup. These are my picks (plus a few related snuggly finds):
Parents, what we are being asked to do is not humanly possible. There is a reason we are either a working parent, a stay-at-home parent, or a part-time working parent […] It’s not hard because you are doing it wrong. It’s hard because it’s too much.– Emily W. King, PhD via
I’ve had a sweet tooth that won’t quit, so I scoured our cabinets to make something – anything! – that would satisfy my craving without a need to leave the house. This hit the spot.
- Anthropologie: 40% off Fresh Air favorites (shows in cart)
- CB2: Up to 30% off outdoor furniture and dining
- Crate & Barrel: 20% off Wine & Dine
- Everlane: Choose what you pay, seriously!
- GAP: 40% off everything, applied at checkout
- Interior Define: 15% off everything (last weekend for the sale)!
- J. Crew: 50% off select styles with code REFRESH
- J. Crew Factory: 50-60% off everything!
- Loft: Up to 60% off with Buy More, Save More
- Madewell: Extra 50% off select sale
- Pottery Barn: up to 40% off everything and free shipping with code REFRESH
- Rejuvenation: Friends & Family sale, 20% off everything
- Rugs USA: Spring cleaning up to 60% off
- Target: Up to 25% off furniture
- Unison Home: Free shipping with code SUMMER20
- Wayfair: Up to 70% off home renovation items
- West Elm: Up to 30% off WFH, dining and outdoor furniture
- Williams Sonoma: Limited time offers vary
- World Market: 40% off outdoor
Wishing you all a happy holiday weekend! May you Marco Polo, Zoom and FaceTime with all your favorite people. xx