Have You Gotten a Haircut Lately?
Since the start of lockdown – over one year ago – I’ve noticed that my friends have fallen into two camps: Camp Get a Haircut and Feel Good About Yourself, and Camp Who Cares No One Sees Me Anyway. Since January of 2020, I’ve fallen into the latter camp, and my hair is longer and thicker (and more unruly) than it’s ever been. I’ve been embracing it for the most part, but my fellow thick-haired Asians out there might understand the dilemma that is the dead weight ponytail. Ouch!
I’ve been fully vaccinated for a month now, so I started to wonder if there was something to the whole Get a Haircut and Feel Good About Yourself thing. I could use a boost, and I’m a firm believer that hair holds onto bad energy. Even more so, I’ve been considering chopping Lucy’s hair, since she refuses to wear clips or pigtails. I asked my hair stylist if she’d cut both my and Lucy’s hair, and she encouraged me to cut Lucy’s on my own. It would be a big chop – at least 3 inches! – but she promised me I could do it.
And I did it! And it’s pretty cute! Oh, and I scheduled my own hair appointment for next week, and I’m counting down the days. Hip, hip!
I’ve never felt so seen. (I’m a 1 all the way, ooof.)
Do you own a mug that says Girlboss? You might be cheugy. I cannot stop laughing at this!
Feeling like we’ve hit the end of the internet lately, I Googled ‘best true crime documentaries’ and landed on Lorena. I have no idea how we missed this when it first hit the small screen (2019), but wow. It was well done, powerful, and was the catalyst around late-night emotional conversations. All I can say is, if you thought you knew everything about the infamous Bobbitt case, you have no idea. Watch it on Amazon Prime!
Rental kitchens pose a unique challenge: They have to hold up to years of continued use by various people with various levels of cleanliness and various interior styles. […] But that doesn’t mean they have to lack the function or aesthetic you’d find in a home you’d call your own.– Inside a Rental-Friendly Chicago Kitchen
A(n absolutely incredible) guide to ‘but I’m just not into politics!’
Two gorgeous DIY fluted beds hit the blog world this week: Malcolm’s tutorial on Emily Henderson’s blog has the prettiest marble + brass details (below), and Matt and Beau added fluting from head to toe!
If you’re able, here are some ways you can help India right now:
- Feeding From Far | An initiative that has been feeding the poor and unemployed who are struggling to feed themselves during the lockdown.
- Enrich Lives Foundation | Helping needy families receive grocery kits consisting of rice, atta, dal, sugar, oil, spices and more.
- Mazdoor Kitchen | A citizen run voluntary initiative working to provide meals and subsistence to daily wage workers in North Delhi.
- Direct Relief | A humanitarian aid organization distributing oxygen concentrators and other medical supplies across India.
- Project Hope | Rapidly mobilizing critically needed medical equipment and PPE to help health workers respond.
- Transgender Welfare Equity and Empowerment Trust | Funds go towards financially supporting transgender Indians, who are often rejected by their families and experiencing homelessness, a risk factor for COVID.
- Care India | A humanitarian organization focusing on marginalized women and girls, is providing PPE to frontline workers.
- Make A Difference | An international nonprofit providing critical services for the children in need of care and protection
IG I Love
Lisa @ourhome.becoming is new to me, but after 5 minutes scrolling through her feed, I thought: Why aren’t we all following her?! She feels friendly and attainable, while consistently sharing tips where I’m learning something new – like how to paint your cabinets, how to countersink screws and lazy pantry hacks. Oh, and don’t get me started on the mural she drew for her kids’ play cafe!
- Anthropologie: It’s the Anthro Day sale, where AnthroPerks members receive 20% off this weekend!
- Baggu: Up to 60% off sale + free shipping over $30
- Boutique Rugs: 60% off with code MOM60
- CB2: Up to 50% off clearance
- Equilibria: 30% off CBD subscription boxes + an additional 15% off with code YELLOWBRICKHOME (final sale weekend!)
- Everlane: Up to 70% off Choose What You Pay!
- J. Crew: Up to 40% off select summer styles
- J. Crew Factory: Up to 50% off swim and shorts
- Madewell: 25% off Flash Sale with code TWODAYS
- Old Navy: 30% off your online order, no code needed
- Overstock: Free shipping on everything!
- Pottery Barn: Free shipping over $99 with code FREESHIP
- Rugs USA: Up to 75% off Southwest styles
- Target: Save up to 25% off furniture items (online only!)
- Unison Home: Free shipping over $100 with code SUMMER100
- West Elm: Open Box discounts!
Have a Happy Weekend!
I’m sensitive to the term Mother’s Day, as someone who has experienced infertility and once felt triggered by those words. (But on a fun side note: Scott celebrated Mother’s Day with me every year before Lucy, as the mother of our pets!) So to all my friends, aunts, sisters, pet moms, BFFs, mentors, future moms and motherly figures out there, I’m wishing you a happy weekend, however you celebrate your love. It’s also my birthday on Sunday (I’ll be 39!), so I’m pretty sure Scott will let me do whatever I wish, haha.
And I’d love to know: If you celebrate Mother’s Day, are you Team Spend All Day with the Fam or Team Close the Blinds and Binge Netflix?