The Front Porch is Making Strides!
This past week has been all about the front porch, and we can see the light at the end of the tunnel! In case you missed it, we shared our plans in this post, and since then, the new fascia and tongue and groove ceiling have been installed. Our center ceiling light has been ordered (this pretty girl!), and I picked up this pair of dawn to dusk lights for the garden unit, to match the ones we have flanking our front door!
Like most projects, we’ve been stalled by the ‘unplanned’ – such as adding a support beam where we removed the lattice (seen above), rainy and cold weather, and those imperfect columns were a challenge when installing the new crown. Scott whipped it out like a champ, though!
We modeled the design off of a nearby neighbor, using remnants from the fascia. Once it’s all caulked and painted, it will look seamless!
Meanwhile, I also trimmed our massive juniper trees, spackled and sanded every. last. exposed. screw head and nail pop, and we’ve been brainstorming plants and pavers to expand the landscaping and add a walking path. We’re now debating hiring out the paint and stain portion of the project, so we’re gathering a few quotes – just to see. Our only concern is lack of time. With the upcoming condo refresh on the horizon, we want to knock out the rest of the to-do list quickly, so we can start enjoying our morning coffee on the front porch again. Soon enough!
PS: The story of the space man in the attic window! The unicorn taped to the playroom window is all Lucy.
I’ve never been happier to not live in Cincinnati in this year of the Brood X cicadas! I remember it too vividly, 17 years ago, as I finished my senior year at University of Cincinnati. If you’ve been hit hard by this year’s wave, I am sincerely sorry. Yuck! A friend of mine recently shared this plushie, and I couldn’t stop laughing, so maybe it’ll make you smile? It won’t ship until August, so the trauma should be behind you by then.
In need of a new podcast? This is the only one Scott hasn’t been able to stop talking about.
This still makes me LOL 4 years later. In case you need a smile today! (Sound on.)
Our family has loved every single children’s book by Matt de la Peña (author) and Christian Robinson (illustrator). But none of their books has given me more pause and filled me with more love than Milo Imagines the World, quoted below! The urban backdrop (similar to many of their stories) feels like home to Lucy, but this one. This one! To read it is to love it, and I just added it to Lucy’s List on Bookshop.org, where proceeds directly support local bookstores.
These monthly subway rides are never ending, and as usual, Milo is a shook up soda. Excitement stacked on top of worry on top of confusion on top of love.— Milo Imagines the World
Scott has been fine-tuning our Yellow Brick Home Spotify playlists (all made with Tree House in mind), and he just dropped a new one for your weekend mornings! Follow along with Pancake Breakfast right here.
Our Everlane Summer Picks!
It’s no secret that we love Everlane, but they have been crushing the summer wardrobe game! They nail basics in a way that keeps us coming back for more. Great fits, high quality and fair pricing. Below, I rounded up the newest additions in our own closets (#3 is my favorite summer tank, the raglan sleeves on #6 are chef’s kiss, and the #2 tee dress somehow has a shape while still being flowy), plus a few extra I’m loving!
Memorial Day Sales
- Anthropologie: Up to 40% off all sale items, no code needed
- Article: Memorial Day Sale on select items, no code needed
- Baggu: Up to 60% off sale + free shipping over $30
- Boutique Rugs: 60% off with code MEM60
- CB2: Up to 15% off outdoor
- Equilibria CBD: Both new and existing customers receive 25% off sitewide + an additional 15% off for new customers with code YELLOWBRICKHOME
- Everlane: Up to 70% off Choose What You Pay!
- J. Crew: Up to 40% off select summer styles
- J. Crew Factory: 40-70% off all weekend, no code needed
- Nordstrom: Save up to 50% during the Half-Yearly Sale
- Old Navy: 25% off your online order, no code needed
- Overstock: Memorial Day Sale with 70% off thousands of items
- Pottery Barn: Free shipping over $99 with code FREESHIP
- Rugs USA: Up to 75% off Memorial Day Preview sale
- Serena & Lily: 20% off everything(!) with code DIVEIN
- Target: 15% off select outdoor furniture
- Tubby Todd Bath Co: 15% off site-wide or 20% off orders $100+
- Unison Home: Free shipping through the weekend with code MDW2021
- The Vintage Rug Shop: 20% off with code HELLOSUNSHINE
- West Elm: Open Box discounts!
Enjoy Your Weekend!
What are your plans for the long weekend? We’re meeting up with my parents at Tree House, and they’ll be spending overdue time with Lucy while Scott and I tackle the shed makeover! In-between all that painting and organizing, we hope to toast drinks around the fire pit and – if the weather warms back up! – hit the beach, too. Have a great weekend, friends!