We had the most magical week in Michigan and went blueberry picking for the first time in our lives! We went with our friends and their two little girls, one of which is close in age to Lucy and a dear friend. Picture this: hot, thick summer air. Flip flops and cotton dresses. The sound of cicadas in the trees. Rows and rows (and rows!) of blueberry fields, two giggly girls, and the quiet sounds of a ‘pluck’ and a ‘plop’ into plastic buckets. It felt like we were in our own summer montage, complete with a soft alt-pop track.
The girls accidentally twinned, which made for THE cutest photos! They were so eager to fill their buckets and show off their haul… until they weren’t, at which point they discarded the buckets and ran up and down the rows with abandon. I’m holding this memory close to my heart and counting down the months until blueberry season is back!
We brought hundreds and blueberries home – plucked by the sweetest, tiniest hands – and promptly whipped up a batch of muffins (which we’ve been eating all week long, haha). If you’re near the southwest Michigan area, we went to The Blueberry Patch, which was a treasure!
Other Things This Week
This has been a tough-news month. A few days ago, Scott and I had a conversation about replacing the word or with and, and how it relates to a typical thought process. Such as, I want to help Afghanistan, or I could deal with my own issues. Instead, I could say, I want help Afghanistan and deal with my own issues. As if reading my mind, @mariebeech recently posted this, and it spoke to my soul. Here are a few resources to learn more and donate, if you’re able:
- The collapse of Afghanistan
- Reflecting on our role
- What’s happening and how you can help (article)
- UNHCR: Provides lifesaving care and protection to families in need of help.
- Crisis relief GoFundMe hosted by Children Without Borders
The story of Camp I Am, a summer camp where gender-nonconforming children can be exactly who they are, was a bright spot this week. (Best viewed on desktop.)
Did you see Carmeon’s big news?! I’ve been waiting!
Instead of the triumphant return we hoped it’d be, 2021 seems more like an annex for the overflow of sorrow and frustration last year brought.— Has This Summer Felt Off to Anyone Else?
Bring on the rain! I picked up these ankle-high rain boots in cream, and the next time Lucy wants to slosh in puddles, I’m down! Tip: I’m a true 6.5, and the 7 fit perfectly. If you’re between sizes, I’d suggest going up a half size.
- Anthropologie: Extra 25% off all sale items, no code needed
- Boutique Rugs: 60% off with code SCHOOL60
- CB2: Up to 50% off clearance
- The Company Store: Up to 50% off Anniversary Sale + 20% off with code G21ANNY
- Equilibria CBD: 15% off for new customers with code YELLOWBRICKHOME
- Everlane: Up to 60% off sale items
- J. Crew: End-of-season swimwear sale!
- J. Crew Factory: 50% off Last Chance Styles
- Madewell: 15% off for teachers and college students
- Old Navy: Up to 75% off clearance
- Pottery Barn: Free shipping on orders of $99+ with code FREESHIP
- Rugs USA: Up to 75% off pet-resistant rugs
- Unison Home: Free shipping on orders of $100+ with code FALL21
Have a Peaceful Weekend
What are your plans for the weekend? I can’t believe the school year is starting for so many of us. Lucy starts pre-k in just a handful of weeks! Wishing you a peaceful weekend after a tough week of news, busy-ness and heavy hearts. xx