This week marked the first back-to-school adventure for us, because Lucy started Pre-K! She rose before the sun and dressed herself (complete with her unicorn hoodie, despite being a 90-degree day), and we rode our tandem bicycle to school drop-off. We took photos on the front porch and at school, both on my phone and with the DSLR and the Instax. I’m that mom, but I remind myself that you only have one ‘first,’ and with Lucy being our only, I tearfully and gleefully hold every ‘first’ so close to my heart.
Evenings, on the other hand, have been tricky. Dinner is a struggle. Bedtime is a struggle. There’s so much newness in our collective lives, and we’re all processing each and every feeling – very vocally, haha. And then I came across this post from @bigcityreaders, and it was just the comfort I needed to hear:
You’ve prepared them wonderfully, and that’s why they feel sale enough to have meltdowns at home.— @bigcityreaders
Sharing this in case it resonates with any of you! How has back-to-school been for your family? Any fun or silly stories you’d like to share? I think we could all use some community as we head into another year of a new normal.
Other Things This Week
Have you watched White Lotus (HBO Max)? We devoured the series in 3 days! The social satire was poignant and delicious. This article is a great deep dive. I’d love to discuss with you in the comments (no spoilers for those who haven’t seen, please!).
Our front yard landscape planning is in full swing (I’ve been sharing on Stories all week!), and the plans call for a yard full of lush, floofy plants. We’re also adding a garden bench as a sweet little spot for morning coffee, which means I have benches on the brain. There are so many cute benches out there, but the hardest part is nailing down the style! These are the ones that have caught my eye:
1. Dexter, $499 | 2. Polywood backless, $489 | 3. Palissade bench, $395 | 4. Henning, $110 | 5. Nantucket, $249 | 6. Volker, $450 | 7. Artemis, $115 | 8. Kempel, $229 | 9. Polywood loveseat, $396 | 10. Cooper, $599 | 11. Gehlert, $370 | 12. Terrazzo, $1,299
Every single one of these benches would make for wonderful seating in an entryway, too! Right now, my favorites are #10 and #5 (very different!), and I’m putting #12 on the ‘in my dreams’ category. Which one would you choose?
- Article: Up to 30% off Labor Day Sale through 9/6
- Boutique Rugs: 60% off with code LABOR60
- CB2: Up to 50% off clearance
- The Company Store: 20% off sitewide with code H21LDW
- Equilibria CBD: 15% off for new customers with code YELLOWBRICKHOME
- Everlane: End of Summer Sale up to 50% off best sellers
- Girlfriend Collective: Up to 30% off favorites, no code needed
- J. Crew: 40% off your purchase with code HELLOFALL
- J. Crew Factory: 40% off sitewide, prices as marked
- Lowe’s: Labor Day Savings Event through 9/8!
- Madewell: 15% off for teachers and college students
- Old Navy: Up to 50% off sitewide
- Pottery Barn: 20% off clearance with code LABORDAY
- Rejuvenation: Up to 75% off Labor Day Warehouse Sale!
- Rugs USA: Up to 75% off Labor Day preview sale
- Unison Home: Free shipping on orders of $100+ with code FALL21
Have a Relaxing Weekend
Do you have anything fun lined up for the long weekend? We hope to hit the beach, eat ice cream before dinner and sit by a warm bonfire. Wishing you a relaxing weekend full of everything that fuels you, and nothing that doesn’t. xx