We’ve been doing as much Michigan-ing as possible, which is partly (okay, probably mostly) due to home projects, partly to soak up all the fall feels. We spent several days last week and over the weekend at Tree House, and the leaves are thisclose to exploding into bright yellows, oranges and reds. The tree tips were starting to shift from dark green to lime during our stay, and we witnessed everything from 80-degree heat to a 60-degree chill. On one of the cooler days, we strapped on Lucy’s fleece booties and zipped up our coats, and we spent the afternoon at a nearby corn maze!
It’s funny, because I think as new parents, we’re so excited for Lucy to experience her ‘first’ X, Y or Z. (We’ve even told Lucy all about her ‘first’ concert, which she experienced from the womb and can now proudly tell the world she has seen, er, heard, Mariah Carey. Moving on.) The corn maze was no different, and despite the drizzle in the forecast, we pushed through. We said, Lucy, this is your first fall festival! Look, this is apple cider! Do you see the corn? Ooh, feel the bumpy gourds! She takes it all in, and everything feels so magical all over again. All the while, that drizzle turned the earth into mush, and still, we were determined to get lost in that corn maze. Scott laughed while I shrieked at our muddy shoes, and at one point, my shoe started to sink like quick sand while I grabbed a nearby stalk for support.
But! You guys! We made it to the end. (Please tell me I’m not the only who starts to worry mid-maze?) On the way home, we agreed that our soaking, muddy shoes only made for an extra special Lucy’s-First-Corn-Maze, and we think those gray and gloomy skies made it all the better.
• Melanie’s home showed up on my Instagram Explore page one day, and I’ve been taking notes for our Tree House ever since. (Her green guest room! That kitchen!)
• Are you following the One Room Challenge? Dabito has me on the edge of my seat. He is a master of color.
• Before I can even think of opening my inbox in the morning, I first light a candle. I pour a cup of coffee. I eat a banana. (I need that banana.) I start a good playlist. That last action item is sometimes the most difficult, but I have been loving Caroline’s Spotify mixes for a productive workday! Plus, how insanely pretty (and calming!) is her music feed?
• I couldn’t stop raving about my new work boots, so Scott one upped me. Be gone, tired, fatigued DIY feet!
• Serena & Lily is having their annual Friends & Family event! Save 20% when you use the code HOMELOVE. We love them for their baskets (we have this one in Lucy’s nursery and these scattered around Tree House), their rugs (this one has been a champion!) and the sweetest lil’ stool you ever did see.
Next week, Scott and I are taking a very long overdue, very much needed break, and we’re headed to Malibu! We’ll be celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary a month early, and we landed the prettiest vacation rental overlooking the ocean. (Pinch. Us.) We initially thought we would take a family trip, but during the planning stages (many months ago), my parents called and said, you know we would jump at the chance to have Lucy for a week, right? Believe it or not, we were still conflicted, but in the end, we decided that having that time to ourselves while having Lucy in the best possible hands, well, we realized we couldn’t have dreamed up a more perfect scenario. (A bit of a logistical challenge, but still, we are eternally grateful.) So this weekend, we’ll welcome my parents into our home, kiss Lucy and the pets no less than one million times, and we’ll board a plane for sunny southern California! We’ll be taking a mini break from the blog, but we’ll be sharing our adventure on Instagram as the week unfolds.
Our plan is the ‘No Plan’ plan, with the exception of wanting to eat our weight in delicious food, laze around the pool and take in the scenery. Speaking of, friends, what are your recommendations in Malibu and Los Angeles? Where should we eat? Where are the best hikes? What are your favorite shops? We’re all ears, and you all have the best suggestions, always.
Have a wonderful weekend, and we’ll see you soon!