As our tiny Libby gets older, her needs get stronger. Libby – our sweet elder kitty – loves a snuggle more than most dogs, and we often joke that she is a dog in a cat body. She’s tail-less by breed, has whisper soft fur and the prettiest green eyes. This photo was taken a couple of years ago, but when I think of Libby, this is her, surveying her kingdom:
She’s more thin now. Completely unable to hear. Has a scratchy rawreow! that makes us chuckle. She’s the love of Lucy’s life (and ours tbh), and every new day we have with her is one that we cherish. With age (we think she’s 18 or 19, but she could be older), she’s prone to tripping over her own paws, and like most cats, she prefers a full day of sleep. To keep her comfortable, her food and litter are upstairs in the laundry room, which is off of our bedroom, which is also where she spends the majority of her time. You see, litter boxes, they do exist! See it up there, in that first photo above? While it was once hidden away, agility is no longer Libby’s strength. So out in the open it is, typically surrounded by training pads for when she misses the mark. It would be more sad if it weren’t for all the joy she brings this family.
I have a tendency to get off topic when talking about our pets, and if you could see my face, I have that faraway look in my eyes… Where was I? Oh, yes! Libby is prone to allergies and has a history of asthma, but we have an aversion to all the smells that come along with litter – especially when it’s in our bedroom. To keep everyone happy, we’ve been using these Bisou charcoal eliminators, which are safe for her sensitivities while being strong enough to work. Bisou was so confident that they’d we’d find them effective, that they sent us a few to try, no strings attached. They were right!
You can find out how they do they thing right here, but in a nutshell, they’re a natural odor eliminator (perfect for pet people), and they can be reactivated for up to 2 years by placing them in the sun. So woo-woo, I love it. Let us know if you give them a try! Bonus: they’re offering up free shipping when you use the discount code YELLOWBRICKHOME.
In Other News, Things Don’t Always Go As Planned.
Our contractor’s toilet drain install was so exact, that the extra 3/4″ depth from the stile located behind the toilet wouldn’t allow it to sit flush with the wall. Below, you can see how our board and batten looked when it was done, which was, technically, mathematically perfect on the wall. Although it wasn’t centered behind the sink and toilet, we thought, perfect on the wall is better than perfect in the space! Wrong. See how the toilet is resting on a stile and at a slight angle?
Our bad for not thinking about that beforehand, right? Although we grumbled through it, we both agreed that maybe – just maybe! – visually perfect is better than mathematically perfect. So we got to work removing the stiles behind the vanity and toilet, ran to the store to get more trim, made new cuts, re-caulked seams and re-painted. Grumble.
But you guys! Here’s how it looks now:
Although the space between the stiles aren’t spaced evenly within the pink, it looks so. much. better! It somehow looks way, way more custom. It was a lot of work, but totally worth it in the end! This comment floated through our inbox during this mini setback (in response to this post), and the timing couldn’t have been more perfect:
“[Sharing t]he process is the POINT. Sharing the how-to, the progress, the pitfalls and the pinnacles: that’s why I read you. You’re doing what I’m doing (or hope to do) and you’re teaching me how, plus inspiring me. The reveals are great, but of course they’re the icing. I’m here for the cake, big-time!“
Let’s all raise a glass… to cake!
- When shooting interiors, I take #3 very seriously.
- We’ve been using this trick for years, and it always puts the silly matter at hand into perspective. Works for pets, too!
- It’s Phish season for Scott, and this is my life now.
- My favorite boxy, cropped tee is less than $10 right now! (I also couldn’t resist this everyday button-up.)
- Every time I wear this shirt, I get compliments. (And it’s so comfy and on sale!)
- omg my ride or die purse now comes as a belt bag!
- This infographic was posted, and the internet lost its collective mind. My favorite: I came here for the comments and they didn’t disappoint.
- Up to 30% off at West Elm | including our long gooseneck sconce!
- Up to 40% off at Rejuvenation | like this pretty rug we just used in a project
- 20% off sale at Madewell with code ENJOY20| I picked up this tank in ivory
- 25% off at Pottery Barn with code FRIENDS
- 30% off at J. Crew with code GETAWAY
- Up to 25% off dining at CB2 | like our dining table (discounted $100!)
- Up to 70% off Unison’s Summer Sale
We hope you all have a wonderful weekend and a happy Father’s Day! xx