This giveaway is no longer accepting entries. Thanks to all who participated!
TWO years ago, we opened The Pet Shop, a tiny slice of this Yellow Brick Home, and since day one, you’ve supported us. You’ve been with us as we’ve grown, improved and found our footing, so to speak. Since the debut of our Shop v. 2, we’ve been honored to work alongside nonprofit and no kill animal rescues. With your constant encouragement, we’ve been able to contribute 10% of every sale towards their mission – giving back to the community that brought us our three four-legged kiddos.
With well over 400 portraits painted, we feel beyond humbled to know that our work sits on your shelves, hangs on your walls and keeps you company at the office.
Your cheers and open arms have been nothing short of amazing, and for that, we thank you so much.
With that said, we’re often asked to provide a peek into a portrait’s process, and in honor of our birthday, we want to share that with you. If you follow us on Instagram (@yellowbrickhome), you may have seen Winston, a sweet lab from Brooklyn, from start to finish. Every painting begins with the solid background, followed by a detailed drawing for my brush to follow. From there, I’ll fill in the darkest areas first, working my way from the shadows to the highlights.
Depending on the style of portrait (Winston was a close-up, lending a more intimate feel), I may focus on the more detailed parts first (in this case, his face) before finishing the chest (again, in this case) and eyes. Scott will often come home to find my (er, your) pets sans eyes, but I often fill them in last, as they’re crucial to giving your pet that finishing sparkle. Winston was painted on a 6×6 canvas.
And just for comparison’s sake (and because it’s more fun this way), here’s the original photo of Winston. His mom, Emily, wanted to capture his big, goofy grin, and I was thrilled to do so!
But it wouldn’t be a birthday without a little celebration, right? In honor of our two years, we want to thank you with – get this – two things. (And don’t worry, we’ll eat some party cupcakes, too!)
ONE. Today only, enter code BIRTHDAY at checkout for $10 off any order over $30. Everything in The Pet Shop is eligible for this discount, including prints, gift certificates and custom portraits! There are a few things to mention, such as these:
- Promo runs through midnight CST, Friday, September 14th.
- Promo cannot be applied towards past or existing orders.
- Please keep in mind that our current turnaround time for a custom portrait is 8 weeks, so this is a great time to get a head start on holiday shopping. Sunday, October 21st will be the last day to place custom orders for a timely Christmakuh delivery.
TWO. See that word giveaway up there? We’re going back to our roots to give one lucky reader the original pint-sized 4×4 custom portrait of their pet! And yes, this includes pups, cats, horses, fish and lizards – hamsters, gerbils and snakes, too!
- Up for grabs: a 4″x4″ custom portrait of one pet from The Pet Shop or an $85 credit towards the size of winner’s choice
- To enter: Simply comment on this post with your pet’s name and let us know: what makes Rover so awesome? Is it his cuddle abilities? His eye patch or his tiny toes? Or maybe he’s got some sweet dance moves?
- For additional entries: Share this giveaway on Facebook or Twitter, then come back and leave a comment letting us know. (One additional comment for each method – up to 2 extra entries!)
- Giveaway ends: Tuesday, September 18th, 5pm CST
- Shipping restrictions: Anywhere in the world
The lucky dog winner will be selected using random.org and announced on Wednesday, September 19th. Good luck, happy entering and eat cake!
PS: Thank you to Winston’s mom, Emily, for allowing us to share him with all of you!