Our idea of a perfect lazy day is this: Brunch at our local pie shop, followed by a quick browse through Lucy’s favorite all-inclusive (and woman owned!) toy store, and finally, swinging by the nursery for a tiny succulent. In a way, we’re absolutely spoiled with thriving small businesses in Chicago, and it’s one of the reasons we fell in love with this amazing city.
So today – on this Small Business Saturday! – we really want to spread that love. We’ve handpicked some of our very favorite items from the craftspeople and businesses we return to again and again, as well as small(er) retailers you may be familiar with (like our Tree House bedroom, below, dressed up in Schoolhouse bedding).
What Is Your Small Business?
We would absolutely love for this comment section to become an active conversation! If you’re a small business owner, please let us know:
- What is the name of your business?
- Where are you located?
- What do you sell?
- A direct link to your shop
Our hope is that you’ll have a bustling Saturday, and may you all find many small businesses that are new and fulfilling for you. Happy gifting!
Gifts from Small Businesses We Love
2. Corbe | Detroit, MI: Handmade ceramics and housewares designed to be both simple and functional. We especially love their Splash pattern!
3. Clementine Kids | Logan, UT: The sweetest art prints and textiles for your favorite tiny human.
4. Tubby Todd | San Diego, CA: Good, clean fun for babies and families with sensitivities. Tubby Todd carries bath and self-care products that are meant to inspire and create community. Through Monday, use from promo TUBBYBLACKFRIDAY2019 for 15% off site wide or TUBBYBLACKFRIDAY20 20% off $100 or more!
5. Soap Distillery | Chicago, IL: Our friend Danielle (hey girl!) makes small batch cocktail-scented soaps, body products and candles that smell amazing – with no hangovers.
6. New Label Dogs | New York, NY: Modern home goods designed for city dogs. As an added bonus, everything is animal-free and sustainably produced!
7. Megmade | Chicago, IL: Our pals Meg & Joe give new life to vintage furniture. Don’t live in Chicago? Not to worry. They ship nationwide.
9. Unison | Chicago, IL: A selection of modern home furnishings designed and curated with a focus on unique pattern and timeless quality. We’re huge fans around here!
10. Schoolhouse Electric Co. | Portland, OR: Schoolhouse is one of our must visit places every time we’re in Portland (and now Pittsburgh!). They’re dedicated to the preservation of American manufacturing, thoughtful living and purposeful design.
11. Norman Leigh | Chicago, IL: Our friends at Norman Leigh build furniture, home decor and accessories from reclaimed materials. They also custom built the dining table at our Tree House from a Silver Maple on our property!
12. Material | New York, NY: Material creates tasteful kitchenware for the modern home cook.
13. Cedar & Moss | Portland, OR: Beautiful modernist lighting and hardware designed with a focus on midcentury and minimalist classic styles. Swoon.
14. Propertee | Idaho Falls, ID: You probably already know our friends Chris & Julia from their popular design blog, which means you also probably know about Propertee, their apparel line! 10% of net proceeds are also donated to a rotating charity so you can look good while doing good.
15. Juniper Print Shop | Phoenix, AZ: A fine-tuned selection of art prints available through digital download for instant gratification while cutting down on your cost.
16. People I’ve Loved | Oakland, CA: Cheeky art, cards, housewares and gifts designed to put smiles on faces.
18. Peach Fuzz | Chicago, IL: An all-inclusive kids’ shop – a favorite of kids (Lucy!) and adults (us!) – specializing in whimsical curiosities.
We encourage you to share a link to your own online storefront in the comments, so that we can shop from you, too!
See all of our gift guides here, or check out these 2018 guides for more ideas: