Last year, we began the annual tradition of not only sharing some of our favorite small businesses, but we also asked you to take part in sharing your own unique places to #shopsmall! Small businesses are the heartbeat of Chicago, a city that thrives on the success of local establishments. More than ever, we’ve been stocking up on gift cards from our favorite haunts, a token of support during a tough year. Tip: Check out Westerlies, which is an easy-to-use database that allows you to search by location for brick and mortar shops that feature makers and artisans, You can even filter shops by social impact business practices, such as BIPOC-owned and fair trade!
So today – on this Small Business Saturday! – we really want to spread the love. We’ve handpicked some of our very favorite items from the craftspeople and businesses we return to again and again, like Baby Blue Print, featured in Lucy’s nursery (seen below). I can’t think of a better gift for a mom-to-be than one of these.
What Is Your Small Business?
We would absolutely love for this comment section to become an active conversation! If you’re a small business owner or someone’s biggest fan, please let us know:
- What is the name of your business?
- Where are you located?
- What do you sell?
- A direct link to your shop
Our hope is that you’ll have a bustling Saturday, and may you all find many small businesses that are new and fulfilling for you. Happy gifting!
Small Businesses We Love
3. Sydney Hale Co. | Richmond, VA: Hand poured soy candles and home fragrances, with 10% of all proceeds going back to pet rescue. Ethically produced and packaged.
4. Dropcap Studio | Rexburg, ID: Custom house numbers, logos, signage or anything else you can dream up in a variety of materials and finishes.
5. Baby Blue Print | Vineyard, UT: Archival custom ultrasound art prints. These make a special and unique gift for the parents-to-be!
6. Steel Petal Press | Chicago, IL: Cards and gifts with a sense of humor. We can never leave the store without a little something that makes us smile!
7. Megmade | Chicago, IL: Our pals Meg & Joe give new life to vintage furniture. They also offer up interior design services and have a curated selection of home goods – plus they ship nationwide!
8. Piccolina | New York, NY: A mission-driven lifestyle brand, dedicated to empowering today’s young girls to become tomorrow’s trailblazers and problem solvers.
9. Play | Chicago, IL: Toys, books and gifts, each hand-selected for kids who love to play, explore and have fun!
10. Big City Readers | Chicago, IL: There’s not much that beats a virtual story time with Miss Beth! She also hosts parent workshops, tutoring, and baby, toddler + kid classes. (Gift certificates here, for virtual learning!)
11. HarperIman Dolls | A mother + daughter team dedicated to creating dolls that reinforce to children of color how important they are. They’re sold out this year, but you’ll want to bookmark them (and follow along!) for 2021.
12. Little Peach Fuzz | Chicago, IL: An all-inclusive kids’ shop – a favorite of kids (Lucy!) and adults (us!) – specializing in whimsical curiosities.
14. Gaslight Coffee Roasters | Chicago, IL: Coffee created with a focus on seasonality, locality and food conservation. (Our all-time favorite!)
15. At Noon | Madison, WI: Baby + children’s clothing and accessories for the neutral-loving parents. So. Much. Cute.
We encourage you to share a link to your own (or your very favorite) storefront in the comments so that we can shop from you, too!
See all of our gift guides here, or check out these 2019 guides for even more ideas: