As another year wraps up and we eagerly await spending the next week with our best buds and families, we couldn’t help but think back to all that has happened in the last year. Really, isn’t it sort of amazing to think about how much your life can evolve in just one year? Have you ever been asked where you think you’ll be in 5 years? 3? 1? Perhaps it’s just this time, holiday or season, but we love looking back and thinking forward, too.
In the last twelve months, we’ve met some amazing new friends, found a few moments for summer vacation, reached personal goals and accomplishments, celebrated our two year bloggie birthday (see our fun Q & As here and here), a four year home-iversary (more on that here, here, and here) and a three year wedding anniversary. But we’ve also lost some feline companions (the kiddo of our close pals, Sammie, and my family’s cat, Tyler), seen another basement flood and have been filled with confusion, frustration and yet fulfillment as we figure out this funny (but amazing) path I’ve chosen.
And all this time through the ups, downs and in-betweens, we’ve spent the last year continually turning this home into our favorite place to be – a place we want to fill with friends, games and an air mattress for the over-nighters. When we began looking back at the DIYs and ideas fulfilled, we thought it’d be fun to share our favorites again. A re-cap of sorts; a yearly wrap-up.
1. From Apples to Storage: Once housing apples, it’s now home to our cozy throws for movie watching. Casters make the world go ’round.
2. Chalkboard Backsplash: We played with the idea here, weighed the feedback, and in the end we went for it. While it mostly displays doodles of our furry kids, we’ve been having some holiday fun with it, too.
3. The Media Wall: A labor of love doesn’t even begin to describe this momma. It was all worth it though, as it (very proudly!) displays our pride and joys – and was even featured on Apartment Therapy and Young House Love. Holy cow.
4. DIY Laundry Suds: This is hands down our most popular and somewhat controversial post. We still use this exact recipe and can’t even fathom the day we go back to store bought brands. After a double-throw-up-kitty-incident just last week (ew, we know), this mix came through as expected. (See an update here.)
6. Hi and Bye Doormat: As we come and go, it makes us smile.
7. Rosemary Chicken Burgers: Before the now defunct ReadyMade magazine stopped filling our mailbox, we found this gem of a recipe. We lost count how many times we used it on the grill this summer. So good.
8. Those Hairy Situations: Probably our second most visited post, we discuss how we kick those fur tumbleweeds. We would like to thank our Dyson, the Furminator and the inventors of the lint roller and prickly office mats.
9. Ottoman’s Makeover: I mostly wanted to see if I could pull it off, and luckily, I have a stand-up man who puts up with my crazy (more on that here and here). From cube to sleek, we did it. It’s just too bad it’s missing two buttons now (just keepin’ it real). Luckily, the tufts remain, and we found the buttons. Now to just put them back in place.
10. Bedside Lights: We (literally) couldn’t have completed this one without Daniel from Manhattan Nest. And although we’ve been nutty busy since it’s completion and I’ve yet to read more than a chapter from a book, we’d like to think he still saved our marriage.
It’s probably best that we stop at 10, although we’d like to note that if we tried to rate them in a “Top 10 List” of sorts, well, it’d be like picking our favorite (four-legged) child. Not gonna happen. And don’t forget, you can always check out our growing list of projects right here.
To keep with the favorites theme, we’re also excited to say that next week we’ll have a post a day lined up from some of our favorite girls:
They’ll be keeping our little nook of the web cozy and warm, sharing their own favorites from the past year. We like to call it our favorites’ favorites. The goal is to share other creative ideas, tutorials, and recipes that have inspired us, and we’re sure they’ll inspire you, too.
We’ll be back in the new year, and good gracious, we have so much up our sleeves. A whole lot of organization is on the agenda, and we’ve been bursting to announce that the office will be getting yet another makeover! This time, it’ll be pink (we think). And no, it will not be a nursery! (C’mon, now.)
Thank you for being perpetually awesome, encouraging, and all-around the best readers and friends, hands down. We wish you all a very merry holiday filled with warm fuzzies, your favorite folks, comfort foods and rum, wine, and hot chocolate.
What are you thinking about as this year draws to a close? And what’s your favorite project (home related or otherwise) that you’ve tackled in the last twelve months?