I’m sharing my makeup routine and my go-to products for a bright, natural look.
Bright + Natural
After sharing my skincare essentials, I received countless requests asking if I could unpack my makeup favorites in a blog post, too! I’ve shared favorite products in the past, but this will be a more comprehensive list of the items I reach for over and over again. While I love experimenting with new brands and colors (makeup is fun, after all!), today I’m sharing my current favorites for a bright + natural look. I love pink lips, rosy cheeks, and dark, fluffy brows. My everyday makeup takes me 5 minutes to apply, and I refuse to choose a desert island favorite! (Okay, okay, if I had to, it’d be this.)
Before we dive in, if you haven’t yet checked out my skincare essentials, please do! I fully believe that skincare and makeup go hand-in-hand. You can’t have one without the other. My skincare essentials lay the groundwork for more flawless makeup application.
About My Skin
I think it’s important to (re)share the type of skin I have, because that’s a big factor in why a product may or may not work for me. Here’s what you should know about my skin:
- I’m 39-years-old
- I’m half Italian, half Korean, with light olive skin that tans easily and rarely burns
- After our daughter was born, my combination skin began to lean more dry (and still does)
- I don’t consider myself to have sensitive skin; I rarely, if ever, have an allergic reaction to a product
- I have laugh lines and dark circles around and under my eyes, and I have speckles of melasma along my jawline
My Go-To Makeup Products
In order of application:
- Beautyblender Pro, $18 | If I’m not using my fingers to apply concealer or powder, I’m using this! Make sure to run it under water and squeeze it out really well before applying for seamless application.
- Glossier Stretch Concealer, $20 | You’ll notice throughout this post that I LOVE Glossier. My skin loves Glossier! Stretch concealer is creamy and hydrating for my dry skin. It doesn’t settle into the lines around my eyes, and it’s beautifully buildable when using the Beautyblender. I use it under my eyes, around my nose, on my melasma, and lightly across my forehead and chin. I’ll use this concealer for life, mark my words. I use shade G11.
- Mented Skin Silk Setting Powder, $25 | I received this as a free sample and liked it so much, I bought the full size! I apply this with my Beautyblender, allowing it to ‘bake’ under my eyes while using a light touch everywhere else I applied the Stretch concealer. Then I go back and tap away any remaining powder under my eyes.
- Supreme Finisher Brush, $31 | This brush is dense yet soft and allows me to quickly do a whole face application of bronzer. Speaking of which, I use…
- Nars Matte Bronzer Powder, $38 | I apply the bronzer in the shape of the number ‘3’ on each side of my face, so that it hits the top of my forehead, cheekbones and jawline. Then I go back and use a little on each side of my nose, and if I’m wearing a lower cut shirt, I’ll also apply it on each side of my throat. I use the shade Laguna.
- Glossier Cloud Paint, $18 | My love of Cloud Paint knows no bounds! It’s creamy, buildable, and a little goes a long way. I like to tap is only on the apples of my cheeks for an ‘in from the cold!’ look, or I’ll tape it across my cheeks and over the bridge of my nose for a sun-kissed look. Puff is my everyday shade, but Spark is stunning for a date night or dinner with friends.
- Essence Pure Nude Highlighter, $5 | This is an awesome budget highlighter, but I’m still on the hunt for something with more pizazz when I’m feeling festive. Does anyone have a recommendation for a liquid or cream highlighter you love?
- Stila Liquid and Glow Liquid Eyeshadow, $24 | This is a newer product to me, and I’m really enjoying it so far! After dressing as Mariah Carey for Halloween (haha), I was craving a rosey saturated color on my lids. I use the shade Jezebel.
- It Superhero Mascara, $25 | Any time I stray, I always come back to this mascara. There is endless volume and length, and I love that it’s pitch black. It’s superior to everything I’ve tried, and I’ve tried A LOT. Although if you’re on the hunt for a budget version, this drugstore mascara is the closest dupe I’ve found!
- Glossier Boy Brow, $16 | I switched to Boy Brow a few months ago and never looked back! Wow. It adds color and control, and it 100% lives up to the hype. My eyebrows are microbladed, so if you need to fill in strokes, this might not be the product for you. But if you’re looking to add oomph with a touch of pomade, you might love this, too.
- Glossier Ultralip, $18 | More Glossier, I know, but the products work so well on my skin! Ultralip in Portrait is my everyday color for a splash of pink, and I use Fête when I want to kick it up a notch. It’s sheer but saturated, moisturizing and comfortable.
I’m happy to answer any questions you have! Drop them in the comments below, or feel free to share the makeup products you love! Do you have a desert island pick?
PS: See all of our product round-ups right here, from candles to clothes, rugs to books.